Day 27: May 6: 11:00 am
I cast Speak with Animals and talk to the dog. We discover that the dog is named Violet. Beeker insists that the dog’s name is called Molly. In talking to the dog we discover that everyone in the villiage has gone missing. They have all been turned into trees. Even the cat has been turned.
The dog says that it can smell its master. We follow the dog for about 10 minutes. We eventually get to a large tree that has a hollowed base. This is a huge tree that has a hole we could all travel through.
- The hole is large enough for a person to move through
- A narrow opening is covered with vines
- We enter the tree and move about 60 feet in
- There is a huge cavern with an eire purple glow and the air is spicy and pungent
- We come to a ledge that is covered in roots that we can easily crawl down
- We are about 70 feet above the ground
We all decide to move to the edge and climb down to the cavern floor below. Jeremy is the fir to move down.
- When he is down 30 feet
- We hear the clanging of pots and pans
- Jeremy stops moving when he hears the clanking of the metal
- Something hears the clanging and come charging towards us
We see these creatures coming at us but we don’t have any idea what they are. They are closing in on Jeremy’s position. Beeker has turned himself into a Medium Air Elemental and he is floating down to help Jeremy. We are on initiative and the party is getting ready.
- Aaron: He casts Air Walk
- Evil: moves closer to Jeremy
- Tolan: I leap off the cliff and while falling I cast Wings on myself. They are in the form of psuedodragon wings.
- Jeremy: he hits the plant creature
- Beeker: Ends his Elemental spell and prepares to attack
- Aaron: Attacks and deals massive damage
- Evil: They “shamble” over to Jeremy and attack him
- Tolan: I move up and strike with my fire weapon
- The fire does nothing but the actual damage hits
- Jeremy: He hits and kills the first plant creatures
- Aaron: Attacks and deals minor damage
- Evil: Attacks Jeremy and hits it
- Tolan: I move to the remaining evil and miss
- Jeremy: He swings and hits
- Aaron: Swings twice and hits once
- Evil: It swings and only hits once
- Tolan: I take time to swing once and kill the remaining creature
The battle is over and the creature is beginning to dissolve into nothing. Jeremy is hurt badly but I use my wand to cure him. In the process I try to heal myself. I manage to heal 14 points of damage but the remaining damage in still unhealable.
- I try to make a check and determine that clay golems are able to curse targets
- The damage has to be either healed by a large level character or a caster level check
We take time to explore the cavern at the base of the vines. There is a blanket covered in dog hair. The cavern is still lit by a purple glow.
There is a house about 200 feet away. It is noting more than a stone shack built into the earthen floor of the cavern. It is about 30 feet by 40 feet. There is a padlock on the front door.
- I take the time to aim and strike the lock with my club after turning off the fire aspect.
- The lock comes off and the door is unlocked
Jeremy is the first to enter the door. There is a string of bells attached to the door.
The inside of the shack is filled with garden tools. There are several tools and pots of soil. There are three tables and four barrels along the wall.
Jeremy and Beeker are inside the shack exploring. When they are inside they are attacked by one of the same creatures that attacked them outside. The creature was hiding under the table and attacks Jeremy first.
- Evil: attacks Jeremy
- Jeremy: Attacks the creature and deals minor damage
- Tolan: I land on the ground and make way for the door
- Magellan spots 6 more creature heading our way
- She does not know what they are but they are carrying long weapons
- Beeker: Uses the Wand of Mirror Images on himself creating 5 images
- Provokes AOA and one image disappears
- Jeremy: One hit that deals massive damage
- Determines that the creature is evil
- Evil: It hits Jeremy and deals damage
- Aaron: Casts Daylight on the coming creatures
- Identifies the creatures as Bugbears
- Evil B: The bugbears are running towards us
- Tolan: I move closer to the Bugbears and cast Treant Shape
- Beeker: Casts Charm Monster on the closest one
- He manages to get one under his control
- Jeremy: Flurry of Blows and manages to kill the creature inside
- Evil: Complete misses
- Aaron: He does the Bull Rush on the closest person to me
- He has Improved Bull Rush so he did not provoke an AOA
- Evil B: Moves closer to Aaron and several attacks that miss
- Tolan: I Trample over two of the Bugbears
- Jeremy: Hits and damages the plant creature
- Evil: It hits and deals massive damage to Jeremy
- Aaron: Takes a step and kills one of the remaining two people
- Evil B: The only last one is Charmed
- Tolan: I grapple the Charmed Bugbear
- Jeremy: He is able to kill the creature finally
- Evil: It manages to break control
- It is still grappled in my branches
- BBBS: We are not able to talk to the Bugbear because Ted did not anticipate us trying to question one of the Bugbears.
The game ended with the party having defeated all the Bugbears and Shambling Mounds. The party is all pretty healthy. Jeremy has taken a great deal of damage during the encounter with the Shambling Mounds. We have not searched the shack or the surrounding areas.